Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Forever Friends

People come into your life for a reason, a season, or a lifetime. High school made the 9th school I attended thanks to my father's frequent job transfers and once landing in a growing school district that rezoned our neighborhood several times.  Later I threw in a couple of colleges and law school just to make it an even dozen; then there are the relos to 3 states and a foreign country made to advance my husband's career. Early on I became comfortable in my own company and quickly learned to size up people and wait to meet the right friends for me rather than just settling for any available connection. The summer before my freshman year of high school I was blessed to meet such a friend. Every morning we walked a mile and half to school together. As is often the case we went our separate ways after high school and lost touch until we reconnected these many years later through the magic of FaceBook. We now live on different coasts but she brightens my day with her favorite cat pics (I ignore the spiders), many sent especially for my son who enjoys checking out my FaceBook account. I love reading her posts about her current adventures. Her life is surrounded by the love of her family (she and her husband have 3 wonderful adult children), friends and multiple pets. The one thing that hasn't changed is her heart of gold. Growing up she had a challenging life but she never let adversity harden her heart. Today she is a charitable whirlwind in her small community; that "go to" force who organizes everyone around her to help those in need. I'm not surprised because all those years ago I immediately saw her innate goodness and was blessed when she welcomed this new kid as an old friend. Last night I learned that I'll have the opportunity to pay that long ago kindness forward. A "child by choice" of hers (a close friend of one of her children) begins college here in the next few days. The least I can do is deliver some home baked cookies for her. She'd do the same for me because that's just how it is with forever friends.

Last night I also spoke with a local friend who is a more recent acquaintance. She reminded me that we first met a few years ago at an autism conference (I had forgotten) when I offered her encouragement as she coped with her child's recent autism diagnosis. I didn't remember because that's just how it works. A decade ago when I needed encouragement and guidance a friend was there for me and over the years has even become a "family member by choice." Our families celebrate holidays together including the ones that aren't ours. We join her table for Rosh Hashanah and Passover and her family joins us for Christmas Eve and Easter. She and a couple of other forever friends are my son's surrogate aunts. They are his fierce adopted godmothers who help us look out for his best interest while showering him and us with love.

No matter where I go I am blessed with the penchant to meet amazing people. Everyone has a story and my life is immeasurably enriched by each of them every time I remember to listen, recognize their kindred spirit and accept the gift of their friendship no matter the reason or how long the season. Sometimes I get really lucky and our bond even stands the test of time and distance picking up wherever we last left off when our paths again cross as they inevitably do.

“The majority of us lead quiet, unheralded lives as we pass through this world. There will most likely be no ticker-tape parades for us, no monuments created in our honor. But that does not lessen our possible impact, for there are scores of people waiting for someone just like us to come along; people who will appreciate our compassion, our unique talents. Someone who will live a happier life merely because we took the time to share what we had to give. Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have a potential to turn a life around. It’s overwhelming to consider the continuous opportunities there are to make our love felt.” 




No comments:

Post a Comment