Thursday, May 3, 2012

He said DaDa

When our son was born he was the most wanted child in the world. He still is. The first time I held him he looked at us and smiled. It wasn't gas. We saw it very clearly and it was the most beautiful thing we've ever seen. He knew exactly where he belonged. He was home. This evening our son called his father DaDa for the 1st time (I prompted him) and then without prompting presented his forehead near his father's lips because he wanted a kiss. After his parents cheering and laughing simmered down he said Ga (go) because he wanted to go for a car ride as his reward for doing something so monumental. Before we left I grabbed my cell phone, called my mother and prompted my son to say DaDa for his grandmother. My son said Ba (as in Bye) and then Ba again since the phone call was delaying his ride. With a bit more prompting he did say DaDa and Ga for his grandmother and then we took him for his ride. Earlier today I showed my son Italian kisses. You grab the child with a hand on each side of their face and plant several loud smacks on each cheek. The louder and wetter the better. My grandmother gave us the best kisses and my mother in her turn gave them to my 3 nephews. When my parents last visited a few years ago my mother tried to give my son those kisses and he pulled away because he was too overwhelmed. A few minutes ago not only did my son come to me and request those Italian kisses, but he removed his head phones (he has auditory hypersensitivity) so I could better grab his face. You can bet Gramma will be showering him with kisses when she sees him in Portland this August. After all that I saw practicing in Family Court, I never once asked "why me?" when told my son has autism. I knew the more appropriate question was "why not me?" They told us that if he didn't talk by age 5 he'd never talk but I know better. The flip side of "why not me" is "It ain't over til it's over." Even when my son's speech therapist shared with me last month that she thought he might be on the verge of a break through, she was hesitant to get my hopes up. Later that day he said bubble when prompted. He works very hard and the progress slowly keeps coming. We understand that because of the apraxia and autism we are in unchartered waters. We have no idea what my son's future will be, but we know we'll find out together. Until I see otherwise, as far as I'm concerned, the future is filled with possibilities. My son inherited my persistence and my tenacity so we shall see what we shall see when we see it and you can take that to the Bank of Frank.We waited a decade before he said DaDa to his father. We have a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment